Short notes from the meeting of the Swedish part of the group, October 2013

As I promised I will try to write about the meeting at Chalmers in Gothenburg.

We were welcomed by the Library director Daniel Forsman. He didn't just say welcome but told us to remain a bit critical towards suppliers that promise us to take care of all our problems and give us FREEDOM (yes, with a big F). But maybe Innovative has a somewhat different approach?

First out was Gene Shimshock from  III. He is Senior Vice President, Product and Market Management.
He told us about the company and how they wanted the future products of Innovative to be.
As most of you probably know the ownership is changed now, and also the leadership, with Kim Massana as SEO.
Gene talked about the new center for hosting and support in Dublin, now with about 25 employees. Robert Jacobs is the new Sales Director in Northern Europe. I think they were also about to hire another sales person for the Nordic countries.
There was much talk about collaboration and partnerships. For the discovery solution III are in a partnership with EBSCO. The records in EBSCO EDS can be searched in Encore. For e-books there were partnerships with Overdrive and 3M.

Product directions:
  • Open by design (APIs, open database, developer community)
  • Integrated resource management (plug & play e-resources(?))
  • Seamless workflows
  • Analytics aware
  • Cloud optimized (hosting, sharing)

Next speaker was Colin Carter, Sales Manager. He talked about Encore. EBSCO EDS is searched and the hits are integrated in the result list. They are also working with e-bok circulation within the Encore interface, depending on cooperation with e-book vendors.
We were (once again) told the things we wouldn't miss in Sierra. thing that have troubled us in Millennium. In Sierra:
  • No busy records
  • No broken holds
  • No transaction file (no control down)
The much talked about new APIs in Sierra is not yet in place, but in 2014 things should happen.

Sergey Obolonsky told us about his role as a Library Relations Manager (a new role).
His job is to see to that we are happy with the system and that we are using it in the best possible way. He is not a sales and not support, but if you are not quite sure who you should ask, Sergey is probably the best alternative.
Some things he can help us with:
  • Escalating issues
  • Advocate for software and support issues
  • Implementation and upgrade follow up
  • Open channel for feedback
  • Identify and highlight areas for improvement
  • Liaison for regional IUG meetings. Future user grup meetings can be planned together with Sergey!

What about Graham Woodruff? He is still with the company and is Customer Sales consultant for Northern Europe.

Sergey also told us a bit about the future releases of Millennium and Sierra. His presentation will soon  be available to the user group, so you can study the details.
The other Innovative  presentations will also be available soon!

The last presentation of the first day was Malmö city Library demonstrating the product Desicion Center.
Desicion Center is a rather fascinating tool that can help you with desicions about weeding and acquisitions.
Given the accurate data DC can say for example: Weed!
But the the actual weeding has to be done in Sierra(Millennium).

The second day started with Chalmers and Malmö City Library. The subject was now Sierra, and Emma and Christina told us about their different experiences with implementing Sierra.
On the whole the process was ok for both libraries. Chalmers had more trouble with the project management and there was also a delay due to the fact that the hosting center in Dublin wasn't ready.
The go live-day was successful for both libraries. Almost no problems!
Of course there were many support tickets and things that had to be changed. Som problems with diacritics occured, and some strange things in the OPAC.
The libraries were just in the beginning of the exploration of the new SQL possibilities.

Emma and Christina also demonstrated Sierra live. Hard to put that on paper! There was a web interface for parts of  the back office functionality. There you could work with logins, permissions and decide what each user should have access to. In Sierra you no longer have separate logins for separate modules. With one login you should have everything you need in the meny on the start page.

News from the libraries. Interesting as usual. Here just a few words. (Sorry everybody, could have needed a secretary here.)

KTH:
Cuttings in library staff. Using Scheduler and iReport (printing) with success. Using Millennium ILL, now when the Swedish SAGA system is closing.

Chalmers:
Hosted Sierra solution. Working with Auto Notices. Planing to develop their own system for interlibrary loans.

Gothenburg City Library:
Going for Sierra on their own server. Bought Desicion Center. The main library building is being renovated. Opening again in April  23th next year.

Malmö City Library:
New Library Director. Hoping to buy a discovery solution next year.

Dalarna University:
Moving towards Sierra. Using Millennium ILL now. New library in Falun.

Centrum för pedagogisk inspiration (Malmö):
Worked with the OPAC. Planning for upgrade to Sierra.

Karlstad:
Budget cuts. Going for EBSCO discovery and link resolver.

Stockholm School of Economics:
Maybe Sierra? EBSCO link resolver. The nice "book tower" is open again.

Malmö University:
Moving towards Sierra. Hosted solution.

Karolinska institute:
Project group for procurement forming. In 3-5 years their will be a new procurement of a more total solution.

Södertörn Univeristy:
Started procurement of ILS and ERM- functionality. Working much with Primo.

---

Last some questions concerning the user group.

There was a question from Riin Olonen in Estonia about the time for the next meeting. The delegates preferred to have it in October, as usual.

Anders is resigning from being the contact person of the Swedish group. The new contact person is Petra Gustafsson, Dalarna University.






















Meeting of the Swedish part of the group

October 9-10,  2013 we have a lunch to lunch meeting at Chalmers in Gothenburg. Here is the program:

October 9th:

13.00 - 13.15 Welcome to Chalmers

13.15 - 14.00  Innovative Company Update, Product Roadmap , Gene Shimshock, VP Marketing

14.00 - 14.45 Sierra, Colin Carter, Sales Manager

14.45 - 15.05 Coffee

15.05 - 15.20 Encore ES , Sergey Obolonsky, Library Relations Manager

15.20 - 15.40 Innovative Services, Sergey Obolonsky, Library Relations Manager

15.40 - 16.00 Internationalization roundtable discussion, Eva Lachonius, Senior Training Consultant, Sergey Obolonsky, Library Relations Manager

16.05 - 16.15 Questions, answers

16.15 - 17.00 Malmö City Library shows visar Desicion Center och Reporter

18.00 - Dinner at gyllene Prag


October 10th

09.00 - 09.40  Sierra - with Malmö City Library och Chalmers Library

09.40 - 10.00 Coffee

10.00 - 10.40 Sierra - continued

10.40 - 11.40 New from the libraries

11.40 - 12.00 User group formalities, meeting closing

13.00 - 15.00 Extra demo of Sierra for those who wants to see more




/Anders


Hej!
På IUG-mötet i San Francisco 2013 var jag på en session som handlade om regionala föreningar. Det visade sig vara regioner i USA, inte internationella föreningar, så jag var en udda fågel. Men visst har vi en hel  del gemensamt. Jag fick lite minnesanteckningar som jag publicerar här:


IUG Regionals Forum
Ballroom 1&2
April 24, 2013

 
Presenter: Rose Nelson, Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries, Member of the IUG Steering Committee
Attendance: 17 people
 
Regional Groups section of the website (under Other Resources on homepage à Regional and Interest Groups)

The groups each have a listserv for sharing information about events and regional conferences.  Some areas are more active than others.  Regional groups are a great way to include people who couldn’t make it to the national meetings.  They are a good chance to share information from the national conference or share local projects or regional interests.

Web hosting is available but there is likely a fee for the service.  Or, you can create your own website.  IUG can host a listserv for your region.  Each region should have a contact/coordinator.  Some may need to be updated.

Questions or ideas?

Suggestion: We had a tradition of how to run the regional conference and then learned about other models.  I think it would be interesting for areas to write up how they organize.  It might be a good idea to do a presentation about how to maintain a regional IUG group.

Suggestion: I think sharing the programs that the regions have put on would be very interesting.  Sharing the program or a list of topics, especially, would be helpful.

The format of the Regionals website is new but most of the information is the same.
 
Suggestion: A small group of people might help to maintain website, update information, and facilitate sharing between regional groups. 

Q: You mentioned IUG can host listservs?  Is there a charge?
A: I don’t think there is a charge but I will follow-up.
 
Marjorie from Innovative:
New library relations team is tasked with supporting the regional groups.  Nathan James is library relation manager for Southeast, and he is at the forum.  Your local library relations manager can help support you either financially or organizationally.

Suggestion: We have invited people from Innovative to our regional and inevitably it has been people from sales who come.  We would be interested in having a trainer or person with a different background attend.

Response: That’s a great idea.  Library relation managers can help to fill that kind of gap and otherwise provide organizational support.  Let us know what you need (refreshments, programming, problems, etc.).  For example, at one regional a trainer came and taught print templates.  At another, they did a WebEx about create lists.  We don’t want to exclude sales, but that shouldn’t be the whole focus.

Suggestion: It would be helpful to share in a group like this about what would make a good regional conference and how to handle the logistics. 

Response: That’s a good idea.  We want to encourage collaboration (but not take over). 

One of the big questions is whether you want to deal with money (budgets, charges, etc.).  Staying away from monetary transactions makes it much simpler.  Otherwise, legal issues can become complicated.  It can also make it harder to find volunteers.   Hosting a website can be a challenge if you don’t charge/handle money. 

Southern California charges for cost recovery and accepts credit cards in a very small window.  Aims for zero-balance.  Has a small bank account, which comes in very handy.  Is registered as a non-profit.
 
Suggestion:  It would be helpful to have a starting guide for forming a regional group.  Some kind of guide with samples of bylaws, paperwork, etc.  Prevent people from having to reinvent the wheel.

Suggestion:  We’re a multi-state regional.  We have found it helpful to attach ourselves to another regional conference.  That helps to bring in other people.  We held the conference in New Mexico but skyped it back to Colorado.

Web based training can be another way to bring people together.  For example, in Texas it was hard to organize across the state.  They did a teleconference with more people online as were in the room.

Another idea is to purchase webinars for the group.  A couple of hours of training can be a good way to come together and learn new things.  A group can sponsor it or InnoU coupons can be used for sessions.

One difficulty with the InnoU session is that getting a speaker phone loud enough can be difficulty.  Some sound engineering may be necessary.  Audio over IP can also be difficulty to do two-way audio. 

Q: Are your regional conferences a recap of IUG?  Or how do they function?
A: We looked at what presentations have been done at IUG to get ideas or solicited presentations from individuals who presented at IUG.  Another group says that they would start by presenting at the regional and then turn it into a presentation for the national conference.

Library density is a major issue.  In some regions institutions are very spread out.  This is an issue in Texas and Great Lakes region.  In Arkansas it’s much easier and less of a production to put everything together. 

One thing we struggle with is doing a program in the morning that is interesting to everybody in the audience.   What ideas cross all areas?

We talked about technology and new developments.  Some people liked it and some didn’t.

Something we run into is that some III sites use Innovative for more things than others.  We’ve been fearful of broaching some areas for fear of upsetting Innovative.

The “New Innovative” is more accepting of working with other vendors.  There is a movement toward openness.

How much autonomy do we have as groups to talk about non-innovative things?

You choose what you talk about; it’s your organization.  We’ll support you regardless of what programs we do.  We would be disappointed if you brought in a competitor to do a demo as part of your regional conference.  But where there is a synergy between an Innovative system and an outside group, that is okay.  Vendor neutral collaboration is okay; “cooperative competition.” 

Comment: One of the things we did last year was have a good keynote that was not related to innovative.  It went well; we are again having a good speaker come and that helps make it applicable to everybody.  (Though it can backfire; sometimes a speaker will bomb.)

It’s hard to please everybody.

One thing we did was have Innovative come in the morning and then had an outside speaker later talk about technology and then had other come and talk about project management.  Trying to get more than just technical services to the meeting. 

Is there a way to communicate between people in groups? 
Some people here are representatives, others are not. 

Programming can be difficult if there isn’t a central group deciding what to do.  It’s also hard because some people want things directly related to jobs. 

Does it always have to be a conference?  Are there other events that would be valuable?  Online groups might be helpful with distance problems. 

Sign-up sheet for a contact list was circulated.     

There are many more regional training opportunities.  These have been popular.  This might be another option that does not require a whole conference.

 We have difficulty that there are not enough people participating and doing sessions (but they still complain that there aren’t the sessions people want to see).  Many groups struggle to find presenters. 
 
Some groups give free registration.  Other regional groups have tried requiring some kind of participation to attend.    

Including a speaker list on the website might be helpful.

Another suggestion if you can’t find speakers; it may help to have people from other areas share their presentations.  Some are willing to share their sessions to be presented by others. 
 
 
/Anders Fredriksson

Notes from the Helsinki meeting 2012

We have no secretary in NIUG and this is not an official  protocol from the meeting - just a few remarks. Please comment and correct me if I am wrong about anything!

We had a discussion about the future of the organisation. One result was that we will have no chair of the organisation. Instead we will have three contact persons, one from each country. They will work together with meeting programs and the NIUG web site. I (Anders) have an extra responsibility for the web site, since the domain is registred by our library. Reminders should be sent to the libraries, asking for updates and changes.
The next Nordic meeting (2014) will be held in Estonia. It's not yet decided if it will be in Tallinn or Tartu (or possibly both). The next Swedish meeting (October 2013) will be held at Chalmers University of Technology Library.
Innovative had some news. They are establishing themselves in Dublin. Already late in 2012 there will be a helpdesk function and some product development. Dublin will also be the  place for hosting European systems.
Lots of libraries have signed up for the new system Sierra, now also Chalmers!
Efforts have been made to make the Java staff interface efficient and attractive, although it's still very similar to the old Millennium environment. Innovative is now also working on a browser-based interface, called "Sierra Everywhere". They acknowledge the fact that the future is in web interfaces with responsive design.
At the back-end, the PostgreSQL database and the API based architecture will enable libraries to participate in the development of the system.
The Innovative discovery tool Encore Synergy will be boosted significantly by the new partnership with EBSCO, giving Encore a potential to be attractive also to academic libraries on the Nordic market.
Other products presented were Reporter for statistics and Decision Center.

Then we had all the interesting presentations made by ourselves. Have a look at the meeting program if you haven't seen it! There is also an intention of publishing the PPT:s  on this site. We covered several themes and topics, not all focused around Innovative products. I think that was a good thing, giving us an opportunity to learn about important trends in both public and academic libraries. I am sure the presenters will happily answer any further questions if you are curious or if you couldn't attend the meeting. I started to describe the sessions here, but gave up. Simply too much. Thank you all!
And if you were not with us on the guided tour round Sello library, go there if you have a chance and experience the lively athmosphere and friendliness of the place.

Nordic IUG 2012 Espoo

Meeting Website

Espoo City Library, in the west of Helsinki area, will be hosting the next Nordic IUG meeting in October 2012. We are planning a two days meeting and a pre-meeting day.

The preliminary schedule is:
Tuesday 9th October, Pre-meeting
- Innovative presentations for library representatives (the Council of Public Libraries)
- there will be library directors and staff members from non-Millennium Finnish libraries
- you are welcome to join the event
Wednesday 10th October, Nordic IUG meeting first day
- Innovative presentations, library news, presentations, discussions etc.
Thursday 11th October, Nordic IUG meeting second day
- library news, presentations, discussions etc.

Most likely the main location will be Sello Library in Leppävaara (one of the Espoo district centers). Sello Library is one of the liveliest libraries in HelMet consortia. It is located in Sello shopping center, so there will be restaurants, coffee shops, cinemas, hotels and other services nearby and commuter trains to Helsinki main railway station.

Please save the dates! We will send you more information later.

Susanna Aakko and Kitty Rönnberg

HelMet Web Library in the Top Ten Recommended Finnish Websites


In a survey on brand awareness on of Finnish websites carried out in 2010 by the market research company TaloustutkimusHelMet Web Library was named one of the top ten recommended websites in Finland.

Read more in the July issue of INN-Brief 2011 from CSDirect (password required).

Swedish Users Group Meeting 2011







The next Swedish Users Group Meeting will take place at KTHB, Stockholm on 6th - 7th October, 2011. For more information on the programme see the meeting website (in Swedish).